2013 Award Info
>> 2013 WINNER
>> 2013 FINALISTS
LONGHORNS' JACKSON JEFFCOAT IS THE 2013 HENDRICKS AWARD WINNER
CHICAGO, IL - The Ted Hendricks Foundation is pleased to announce that University of Texas senior Jackson Jeffcoat has become the 12th recipient
of the Ted Hendricks Award. In the most competitive vote in the Award's history, Jeffcoat edged out Missouri's Michael Sam and Louisville's
Marcus Smith for the 2013 version of the Hendricks Herf-Jones trophy. Other finalists included Vic Beasley of Clemson, Shilique Calhoun of Michigan State and
Brad Daly of Montana State.
Jeffcoat's on-field achievements this season include:
- Third in FBS sacks with 12
- Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- Bednarik Award Semifinalist
- Three-Time Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week
- 80 Total Tackles - 21 for loss
Jeffcoat's off-field achievements are even more impressive. They include:
- Participation in a local version of the "Read Across America" program. Included reading
to students at a dual language elementary school in both English and Spanish.
- One of four Longhorn football players that has regularly visited patients at an Austin Children's
Hospital on the Fridays before home games during his time at Texas.
- Serves as a mentor at local elementary and middle schools as part of the Longhorn Leaders
- Will graduate with a degree in Corporate Communications this December, finishing in 3 1/2 years.
In announcing his 2013 winner, Ted Hendricks had the following statement:
"He is a team leader, a versatile pass rusher and relentless defender of the run. Jackson Jeffcoat gets the nod as the 2013 Ted Hendricks
Defensive End of the Year. It was a tight race for the award this year and it included several young men who distinguished themselves as
top-echelon players. But what really tipped the scales was Jackson's community involvement. He is an exceptionally well-rounded young man.
There's no mistaking his contributions both on and off the field and I welcome him as an excellent addition to the previous winners of this
The 2013 Hendricks Award presentation dinner will take place this coming spring in Miami, FL (time and place to be determined).
Photos courtesy of the University of Texas